Thursday, August 23, 2012

Forbidden Rice Salad

This one even surprised me. I had an assortment of leftovers in the fridge and a destination in mind, but it turned out even better than I was hoping.  I worked with what I had, so I'll do my best to judge the quantities, but know that you can fudge this to make it work for you.

Combine the following in a medium bowl:
2-3 cups cooked forbidden rice (also called black rice) - brown rice would work, too
1 cup edamame, cooked and shelled
1 small sweet potato, baked peeled and chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
2 TBS fresh cilantro, chopped
sesame seeds for garnish

I prepared the dressing in a separate bowl before adding to salad:
3 TBS soy sauce
2 TBS honey
2 TBS orange juice
1 TBS rice wine vinegar
1 TBS sesame oil
2 tsp fresh ginger, grated

Add as much or as little dressing as you like.  I ate it right away and it was delicious and of course it's even better if it sits in the fridge for an hour or two. 

No comments: