Sunday, July 8, 2012

Whole Wheat Oatmeal Blueberry Pancakes

The Little Woman likes pancakes for breakfast, but I'm always looking at her plate and thinking about how I can get the most bang for my nutritional buck so to speak.  Her "juice" is a smoothie made from fruit (usually some combination of bananas, pineapple, strawberry, peaches, or apples) combined with water and dark greens like spinach, rainbow chard, or kale.  It tastes delicious, is packed with real fruit and vegetables, and has no added sugar, artificial colors, or flavors.  I drink it for breakfast myself.  Win Win.

So back to the pancakes.  I have a classic pancake recipe I've made for years and while at least they are homemade, they could be better.  I tweaked the recipe this week to include whole wheat flour, oats, flax seed, and blueberries.  They are delicious!  Even the husband agrees.  I made the batter last Sunday and just kept the bowl in the fridge for the next few days and made them as needed.  An even easier option is to make the batter and cook off all of the pancakes at one time.  Cool and freeze between layers of waxed paper.

Whole Wheat Oatmeal Blueberry Pancakes
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup oats
1/4 cup flax seed
1/4 cup honey (raw local honey is really good for you!)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
3/4 cup fresh blueberries

Combine all ingredients except blueberries and stir just until combined.  Heat griddle or nonstick pan over medium heat and add 2 tablespoons of butter or coconut oil (my preference).  Drop batter by heaping spoonfuls and add a few blueberries to each pancake before turning.  This usually makes 16 - 20 pancakes so feel free to cut the recipe in half if needed.  We top ours with honey or a little powdered sugar!

No comments: