Monday, January 16, 2012

Oatmeal Cream Cookies

By request, my first post has to be these oatmeal cream cuties!
Eat your heart out Little Debbie.  I was introduced to this recipe from a friend and they are my new favorite cookie.  Fairly simple, but insanely delicious!

For the cookie: 
2 1/2 sticks of butter, softened
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups old fashioned oats

Cream butter and sugars (really do this, until it's light and fluffy!).  Add egg and vanilla.  Sift dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture.  Then add oats.   Bake at 375 F for 8 - 9 minutes.

I used a small scoop (maybe 1 inch across) and this made 60 cookies.

For the cream filling:
1 stick butter, softened
3 3/4 cups confectioner's sugar
3 -4 TBS milk or cream
1 tsp vanilla extract

You really need the butter soft for this.  Slowly add sugar to butter to combine.  I do it 1/3 to 1/2 cup at a time and do your best to get all of the sugar creamed into the butter.  Be patient.  Then add vanilla and milk to get a spreadable consistency.

For my last batch I pre-scooped all the dough and froze on baking sheets before putting in large freezer bag to store.  Now we can bake just a few cookies at a time.  I also portioned the frosting into three bags, so I can defrost a little at a time.

No comments: